The Foundation for Sustainable Development (FSD) is looking for an intern who will support us with the organisation of the upcoming Ecosystem Services Partnership (ESP) conferences, and maintaining the ESP website. Additionally, the candidate will participate in a project on ecosystem services from a content perspective.
The position is based in Wageningen.
This internship is suited for an MSc academic internship.
FSD is a not-for-profit research & consultancy foundation coordinating projects like the Ecosystem Services Partnership (ESP) and the Dutch phenological network Nature’s Calendar. FSD supports the conservation and sustainable use of natural ecosystems through building knowledge and stimulating awareness of the ways in which people depend on nature.
About the Ecosystem Services Partnership (ESP)
ESP aims to enhance communication, coordination and cooperation, and to build a strong network of individuals and organizations working on the research and application of the ecosystem services concept. ESP supports multiple working groups and national networks and organises international conferences for its members on a regular basis.
For more information on ESP, please see www.es-partnership.org.
Ecosystem Services Valuation Database
The Ecosystem Services Valuation Database (ESVD) was initially developed as part of the The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB) initiative. It aimed to capture a broad global representation of the valuation evidence across all biomes and ecosystem services. The ESVD is now hosted by the Ecosystem Services Partnership and remains the largest available database of valuation estimates containing over 1,300 value estimates from over 300 case studies. ESP is now working on updating the existing database by covering the valuation literature that was published after 2010.
During their internship, students will actively be involved in this process. The main activity will be to extract data from ecosystem valuation literature and code it within the field structure of the database.
After a very successful world conference in 2019, we look forward to organising several regional conferences in the coming period. During their internship, students will have the opportunity to take part in the conference organisation. Possible activities include preparing important conference materials, communication with delegates, updating the conference websites and other related tasks
Other Ecosystem Services projects
FSD is always involved in projects on ecosystem services. Those can be small internal or large international projects. Possible activities:
- A literature review on a certain topic;
- Help with writing reports;
- Communication with project partners
- Help with analyses
- Develop and analyze online questionnaires
- Help with the ESP website management
Required knowledge and skills
- Languages: English
- Education level: MSc student
- Basic understanding of ecosystem services concepts, natural capital management and/or environmental economics.
- Good textual communicative skills
- Advanced level of understanding of Word, Excel, Outlook and Power point
- Able to work independently and proactively
What we offer
- Opportunity to get experience with conference organisation and web communication.
- Opportunity to learn more about ecosystem services and ecosystem management.
- Work in a dynamic working environment at a small NGO.
- A remuneration of € 150, – per month based on a 40 hours workweek.
Preferable starting date is mid-January 2020. Internship time and weekly hours are open for discussion, but we prefer someone who can work at least 4 days a week for at least 3 months.
More information and application
- Contact us for more information about the position at email@example.com
- If you are interested in this internship, send short motivation email and resume to Sara Mulder at firstname.lastname@example.org.