After a successful visit to the four case study regions of the CiVi.net project in the beginning of this year, a report has been written to document the activities, findings and conclusions of this visit.
Six researchers of our project traveled from January 16 to February 24 through all four case study regions of the project.
The basic aims of the case study visits were the following:
- Get an overview of the regional conditions
- Get an overview of the environmental problems faced, the related ecosystem services (ES) as well as most relevant human activities affecting these ES
- Get an overview of existing solution strategies, i.e. management instruments and governance models
- Meet with local stakeholders and do site visits
- Facilitate, film, edit and produce the participatory movies
- Participate in the 1st stakeholder workshop
- Discuss ideas on the possible transfer regions and what exactly should get transferred
- To identity the next steps with the local partners and stakeholders
The three Brazilian case study areas are located in Marujá/Estado in São Paulo State, Ilha do Bananal/Estado in Tocantins State and Encosta da Serral/Estado in Santa Catarina State. In Costa Rica, the case study area is the Osa Conservation Area (ACOSA). Ten days were scheduled for each field trip.
Our researchers got to know local stakeholders such as fishermen, small hostel owners, small tourist entrepreneurs, farmers, ceramic and dairy industries, artists as well as members of professional associations and cooperatives, the local governments and government agencies, and local NGOs.
In several meetings and workshops the researchers got to know their situation and solution strategies with regard to problems they cope with. Moreover, they met the Environmental Minister of Tocantins State (Brazil), Divaldo Rezende, and had a meeting as well as a press conference with the Environmental Minister of Costa Rica, René Castro. During this, CiVi.net could present itself to a broader public and was discussed in the Cost Rican press.
The four Case study regions are:
1 – Marujá, São Paulo, Brazil
2 – Ilha do Bananal/Pium, Tocantins, Brazil
3 – Encostas da Serra Geral, Santa Catarina, Brazil
4 – OSA region (Visit of the Térraba Sierpe and Golfo Dulce areas (original region) and the Nicoya Gulf (transfer region)), Costa Rica
On our Case study projects page you can find more information on the case studies.
For more information on the Field report, please contact Lukas Wortmann